Date:      Mon, 12 Aug 2002 10:30:37 -0700
From:      "Philip J. Koenig" <pjklist@ekahuna.com>
To:        friar_josh@webwarrior.net
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Very slow install from CDROM

On 12 Aug 2002 at 10:04, Josh Paetzel boldly uttered:

> On Mon, 2002-08-12 at 06:07, Philip J. Koenig wrote:
> > I have the ISO Image of 4.6.1-RC2 burned to CD.
> >
> > Trying to install on a P200-MMX (Compaq Deskpro 4000) with a Creative
> > Labs ~24x CDROM and 540MB Western Digital HD. (I know, it's small,
> > but I'm just doing the minimal install)
> >
> > No matter what I set the interface settings to on the HD (PIO mode 0,
> > mode 4, EDMA) and even with both CD and HD set to DMA, and using the
> > workaround published in the errata for 4.6 to set DMA mode, the
> > transfer rate from CDROM is excrutiatingly slow, somewhere around 7
> > KB/s.
> >
> > This is crazy.. any ideas how I can speed this up?  On another system
> > here (350Mhz P2, SCSI disk/CD) the transfer rate using the same CD is
> > ONE HUNDRED times faster.  I realize the slower system should install
> > somewhat slower, but not *that* much slower.
> >
> > TIA,
> >
> > Phil
> >
> > --
> > Philip J. Koenig
> > pjklist@ekahuna.com
> > Electric Kahuna Systems -- Computers & Communications for the New
> > Millenium
> >
> I do installs on classic pentium hardware all the time, and from my
> experience, you should get between 150-200K/sec on the install, with the
> ports tree dropping to 20-30K/sec.  Is the cdrom on the same IDE channel
> as the hard drive?  Having them together on the same controller can
> cause a start-stop data transfer, and if the cache controller or IDE
> controller was broken enough I could believe (although it's a stretch)
> 7K/sec
>
> Josh

Actually they're not on the same port, although they are on the same
controller.  HD is master on port 0, CDROM is master on port 1.

Thanks for the suggestion.  Who knows, it could be a braindead
controller that shares some resources for channels 0 and 1.  Anyone
with specific experience with a Compaq Deskpro 4000 would be
interesting to hear from.