Date:      Thu, 30 Apr 2020 09:18:15 -0400
From:      Greg Veldman <freebsd@gregv.net>
To:        Kurt Jaeger <pi@freebsd.org>
Cc:        "@lbutlr" <kremels@kreme.com>, FreeBSD <freebsd-ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: mail/mailman v3?

On Thu, Apr 30, 2020 at 03:59:16AM +0200, Kurt Jaeger wrote:
> There are many thousand links to the freebsd pipermail archives,
> and invalidating all those links sounds like a serious loss of institutional
> memory.
>
> Is there a way to cope with that ? Some sort of
> lookup 'old link' -> 'new link' ?

Internally, the Mailman archives are just a bunch of
script-generated flat HTML and TXT files.  The only Mailman
specific thing is the bit of logic that gates access to a
private archive with a credential check.  For public archives
(which if my understanding is right, most Mailman-managed
FreeBSD lists are) there should just be a line somewhere in
your HTTPD config that aliases pipermail/ to
<Mailman_inst_dir>/archives/public/.

So no matter what you switch to if/when Mailman2 dies, it
should be fairly trivial to preserve the current archives in
a read-only state at their current URLs.  Even private ones,
assuming you replace the Mailman gatekeeper with something
else (perhaps access control in your HTTPD itself).

--
Greg Veldman
freebsd@gregv.net