Date:      Thu, 27 Aug 1998 22:20:32 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        stb@hanse.de (Stefan Bethke)
Cc:        archie@whistle.com, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Warning: Change to netatalk's file name handling

> AFAIK, there is no character set or encoding defined for file names in
> FreeBSD, in UNIX, or in POSIX. The only implicit definition is plain ASCII.

Actually, the definition is "8 bit clean, 0x00-0x7f US ASCII"; this is
sufficient for ISO 8859-X, Shift-JIS, EUC-JP, BIG5, EUC-TW, GB, EUC-R,
ISO-2022-KR, and KOI8-R representations.

> Even if we were to translate from the Mac enconding to (say) ISO-8859-1,
> this would loose some of the chars legal in Mac filenames, causing grief to
> the typical unsuspecting graphics designer.

Or you could just leave it alone, as 8-bit clean, and allow the
existing ISO 2022 character set selection mechanisms in wide use to
continue functiong normally.

> So we need afpd to confine to ASCII, and, as I would suggest, to printable
> ASCII, as this will make most peoples' live easier (for ASCII, byte values
> from \0x00 to \0x1F and \0x7F do not produce a glyph, so it is practically
> useless to store them as-is).

You can not store 0x00 in the UNIX namespace.

I believe this is a volume seperator in HFS; it can be replaces with
":" in translation.

Specifically, there are exactly two characters you can not use in-band
in the HPFS namespace, and exactly two characters you can not use in
the FFS namespace (0x00 and "/"), and the translation is natural and
obvious.

> > [ On the InterJet, for example, you can have it set to Japanese mode,
> > and shared files appear with the same name under AppleTalk and
> > Windows, ie, Samba and Netatalk use the same character encoding. ]
>
> That is definitly cool. I hope Julian can provide me with either the patches
> or the contact, so I can (at least) evaluate and turn down the patches :-)

Jeremy Allison of the SAMBA team did the code.  Contact him directly
at SGI.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---