Date:      Tue, 08 Feb 2000 00:40:35 -0900
From:      Russ Pagenkopf <russ.pagenkopf@uas.alaska.edu>
To:        "freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org" <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   pthread problem (long and difficult)

Hiya folks!

You've become my last hope for resolving my problem. I'm attempting to
install CommuniGatePro and I've got a problem no one has the answer to.
I've posted these questions to -questions and the CGPro list with no
luck so... I'll list below the steps, questions and answers I've gotten
with the hope that *someone* has the answer.
------

Douglas Brian Quayle wrote:
> That version of FreeBSD does not support POSIX realtime options.  The
> way that you can check for this is to test for the preprocessor
> constant _POSIX_THREAD_PRIORITY_SCHEDULING.

WHOA!! So then I took this to the CGPro list.

and finally Dmitry Akindinov wrote:
> Quite strange: on our system the size for the "/usr/lib/libc_r.so.3"
> library is 596538. That's FreeBSD 3.3-RELEASE. We didn't recompile the
> kernel or install any additional libraries.
>
> Our local FreeBSD guru says that pthread support is built into the
> libc_r shared object. I can just confirm that
>
> nm libc_r.so | grep pthread
>
> shows the "pthread_attr_setscope" as well.
> So, short of reinstalling your FreeBSD clean, I can offer only
> sending the libc_r library from our system.

Now I can make the 1000 mile trip down to this machine and reinstall
everything, but I'd *really* know how to fix what I've got or what the
problem is. Any takers?

Thanks,
Russ Pagenkopf