Date:      Fri, 14 Dec 2007 23:19:25 +0100
From:      Jan Henrik Sylvester <me@janh.de>
To:        stable-list freebsd <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Monitor not working for iwi on 7.0-BETA4

After reading that someone had problems with 802.11i/WPA2, I tested my
iwi device, too. 802.11i (as client) works, but disconnects about every
five minutes briefly, which is nothing new -- I had the same issue with
6.2-RELEASE.

In contrast to 6.2-RELEASE, monitor does not work. Kismet does
not receive anything, while it does with ath or ural (even at the same
time). dmesg with debug.iwi=2 is below -- anything unusual?

Moreover, "ifconfig iwi0 scan" sometimes just hangs, which never
happened on 6.2-RELEASE. I currently cannot reproduce it, though.

Another behavior that changed is "iwi0: radio turned off" being always
displayed when something fails because of it -- and not as the switch is
turned off. "iwi0: radio turned on" is never displayed. I guess that is
expected. (I think I like the new behavior better.)

Something that really got better is that the device sometimes recovers
from firmware errors without me kldunloading if_iwi and I have yet to
see not enough dma memory for the firmware. (Firmware errors happened
regularly with 6.2-RELEASE. I did not test enough to say if that got any
better.)

BTW: Playing around with iwi, ath, and ural removing and plugging back
in the devices (not iwi), I had two crashes. I am not sure how to
investigate that, though. (It produced vmcores on reboot -- I guess I
have to read that chapter on kernel debugging in the handbook.)

Regards,
Jan Henrik

iwi_newstate: INIT -> INIT flags 0x0
enter FW state 1
Setting MAC address to 00:0e:35:91:2b:0b
sending command idx=0 type=11 len=6
Configuring adapter
sending command idx=1 type=6 len=20
Setting power mode to 0
sending command idx=2 type=17 len=4
Setting RTS threshold to 2346
sending command idx=3 type=15 len=4
Setting fragmentation threshold to 2346
sending command idx=4 type=16 len=4
Setting .11bg supported rates (12)
sending command idx=5 type=22 len=16
Setting .11a supported rates (0)
sending command idx=6 type=22 len=16
Setting initialization vector to 3524349664
sending command idx=7 type=34 len=4
Setting wep key index 0 len 0
sending command idx=8 type=18 len=20
Setting wep key index 1 len 0