Date:      Sat, 24 Sep 2016 00:45:14 -0700
From:      Mark Millard <markmi@dsl-only.net>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org, freebsd-arm <freebsd-arm@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: 11.0-RELEASE tier level for arm64/aarch64 and the officially built arm/armv6 variants?

[Another resend since (A) I forget to list free-arm in the To: the first =
time and (B) the second send bounced due to temporary conditions for the =
outgoing mail server.]

=46rom https://www.freebsd.org/platforms/arm.html :

> 32-bit ARM is officially a Tier 2 architecture, as the FreeBSD project =
does not provide official releases or pre-built packages for this =
platform due to it primarily targeting the embedded arena. However, =
FreeBSD/ARM is being actively developed and maintained, is well =
supported, and provides an excellent framework for building ARM-based =
systems. FreeBSD/arm supports ARMv4 and ARMv5 processors. FreeBSD/armv6 =
supports ARMv6 and ARMv7 processors, including SMP on the latter.

"does not provide official releases or pre-built packages"?

> # uname -apKU
> FreeBSD rpi2 11.0-PRERELEASE FreeBSD 11.0-PRERELEASE #5 r304943M: Sun =
Aug 28 03:17:54 PDT 2016     =
markmi@FreeBSDx64:/usr/obj/clang/arm.armv6/usr/src/sys/RPI2-NODBG  arm =
armv6 1100502 1100502

> # pkg search '.*' | wc
>  21349  155540 1596736

Will 11.0-RELEASE change the tier level for any of the specific =
arm-armv6 variants that have FreeBSD-11.0-*-arm-armv6-*.img* files =
built, such as for RPI2?

Even if all the officially built arm-armv6 variants stay tier 2, the =
wording on the web page likely needs to be changed because so much is =
built and available that the above quote claims is not available.

Also from https://www.freebsd.org/platforms/arm.html :

> Initial support for 64-bit ARM is complete. 64-bit ARM platforms =
follow a set of standard conventions, and a single FreeBSD build will =
work on hardware from multiple vendors. As a result, FreeBSD will =
provide official releases for FreeBSD/arm64 and packages will be =
available. FreeBSD/arm64 is on the path to becoming a Tier 1 =
architecture.

Will 11.0-RELEASE make arm64/aarch64 Tier 1?

[I will note that, while there are no official builds for the Pine64 =
family (A64 based) that are under the Allwinner arm activity, the SOC's =
involved are Cortex-A53 64-bit arm based. They likely do not fit in the =
"standard conventions" or arm64/aarch64 would be where they would have =
been supported. Some rewording might be appropriate for the above quote =
as well.]

=3D=3D=3D
Mark Millard
markmi at dsl-only.net