Date:      Tue, 29 May 2001 16:53:38 +1000
From:      Peter Jeremy <peter.jeremy@alcatel.com.au>
To:        Mark Murray <mark@grondar.za>
Cc:        arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: PAM, S/Key and authentication schemes.

On 2001-May-29 08:04:27 +0200, Mark Murray <mark@grondar.za> wrote:
>> > The only danger area I can see is the need to check root password to
>> > get to single-user if the console is not secure.  This needs to work
>> > even if (and especially when) the system is hosed.  I wouldn't like to
>> > see init become dependent on the dynamic loader and various PAM
>> > libraries in this case.
>>
>> We also compile all of the PAM modules included in the base system
>> into a static libpam which allows statically-linked binaries to work,
>> up to a point (they won't work if the system administrator tries to
>> use a third-party PAM module)
>
>I'll stay out of the static stuff as long as I can for exactly this
>reason. Init(8) will be especially left alone. :-)

Which means that somewhere there needs to be a note that if your
console is marked 'insecure' then /etc/master.passwd must contain a
root password that crypt(3) can understand (irrespective of how eg
login(1) might authenticate a root login attempt).  Otherwise, someone
is sure to get bitten.  The init(8) man page is one possibility, but
I'm not sure it's the obvious place to look when you discover you're
locked out of single-user mode.

Peter