Date:      Tue, 04 Apr 2000 07:03:42 -0400 (EDT)
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Michel TALON <talon@lpthe.jussieu.fr>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   RE: make world failed

On 04-Apr-00 Michel TALON wrote:
> I have upgraded from source yesterday to 4.0-Stable following the nice
> instructions at the beginning of UPDATING and everything turned out fine.
> Congratulations to the developpers and particularly to W. Losh for its
> addenda to UPGRADING. However, i am reading the stable mailing list and
> was aware that several people had screwed their machine doing this upgrade.
> Two weeks ago, the instructions in UPGRADING were everything except clear.
> So, as is often the case one needs to wait a little bit that several people
> run into trouble before plunging in the game. This is unfortunate, because
> it means that ordinary users (not following CURRENT) cannot test the
> candidate release as soon as possible, thereby detecting unusual bugs without
> risking very much. Had the correct and detailed explanations been written
> a month ago, it would have been very possible.

----------------------------
revision 1.71
date: 2000/02/23 05:51:02;  author: imp;  state: Exp;  lines: +4 -2
Slightly improved 3.x -> current instructions.
revision 1.70
date: 2000/02/22 01:50:25;  author: imp;  state: Exp;  lines: +22 -4
Add 3.x -> 4.0 upgrade instructions
Make it plainer the kernel rebuild required point.

I had thought these changes were already in.

That last commit was on February 23.  Today is April 4, looks like over a
month to me. :)