Date:      Fri, 01 Jul 2016 12:02:13 +0000
From:      mail@bontempi.net
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: "Simple" Languages in FreeBSD

On Fri, 1 Jul 2016, at 11:50, Ultima wrote:
>  If perl has been decided, I suggest learning rperl instead of regular
> perl. They more or less the same, except in that rperl has a stricter
> syntax usage (correct me if I'm wrong, not an expert). It will compile it
> into a c blob and be much faster than regular perl. One of the compile
> settings was 400ish times faster? Yeah... if I were to learn perl, it
> would
> definitely be rperl.
>=20
> On Fri, Jul 1, 2016 at 6:22 AM, krad <kraduk@gmail.com> wrote:
>=20
> > Depending on the problems you are tackling it may also be worth thinking
> > about things at a higher level as well. eg if you are doing systems
> > maintenance/automation look at something like ansible. It's not program=
ming
> > in an traditional sense, but it can make things a lot easier to do,
> > especially if you are doing things at scale. There are other config
> > management tools out there (chef, puppet, salt, fabric etc) but ansible=
 is
> > relatively easy to setup and get going, and will utilise anything you l=
earn
> > in python very well. Don't be put off by the fact you may only have a s=
mall
> > number of machines, it still makes life easier.
> >
> > On 1 July 2016 at 09:56, Steve O'Hara-Smith <steve@sohara.org> wrote:

> > >         First off FreeBSD supports most programming languages from BA=
SIC
> > > Prolog by way of C, Smalltalk, LISP, Haskell and Forth among many oth=
ers.

> > >         Here's the thing - each of the languages I've listed is an
> > example
> > > of a particular programming paradigm (there are many other examples of
> > each
> > > paradigm). If your aim is to learn about programming in general then I
> > > would advise learning as many different paradigms as possible. If your
> > aim
> > > is to do a bit of programming then pick a language - any language - a=
nd
> > > learn to write something useful.
> > >
> > >         Python and Perl are both easy to learn OO/structured language=
s,
> > > python attempts to force good style, perl is more of an anything goes
> > > approach. Learn one and the other is easy to learn.
> > >
> > > --

Thanks for that reference.

Although rperl is a pretty young project, it is quite promising.

Some benchmarks here: http://rperl.org/performance_benchmarks.html

As far as I understand, Perl can be used with rperl, since the latter is
a string compiler of the former.

Perl is a lot of fun to learn. If one likes Perl's =C2=ABweltanschauung=C2=
=BB  as
programming language, it can easily become addictive.

Priyadarshan