Date:      Wed, 10 Dec 1997 11:24:27 -0500 (EST)
From:      "John S. Dyson" <toor@dyson.iquest.net>
To:        rminnich@Sarnoff.COM (Ron G. Minnich)
Cc:        jamie@itribe.net, jkh@time.cdrom.com, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Why so many steps to build new kernel?

Ron G. Minnich said:

> On Wed, 10 Dec 1997, Jamie Bowden wrote:
> > On Tue, 9 Dec 1997, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:
> > > We know, and have for a long time, about Linux's curses and X based
> > > kernel configurators.  Who's going to do the work of implementing
> > > something similar?  *That's* been the big mystery up until now. :)
> > And more to the point, why would you want to?  Linux's make config is an
> > abomination.
>

> all you really want is a tk-style interface to build config files. You
> don't want any of the other linux hideousness. I think that's what jordan
> meant. I use both systems for kernels and believe me i prefer the bsd
> style, even lacking the cute graphical interface. Much better than the
> linux style.

There are times that I get an inspired urge to get away from kernel hacking
and do something neat with perl/tk or tcl/tk along the lines of kernel config,
but then I wake up and realize what a terrible userland programmer I am :-).

Every X-type application that I have ever written has turned into a spaghetti
monstrosity.  I know it is my fault, but it is so frustrating to know how, but
have so little skill in the area.  Maybe we should do it in Win32, then that
would really speed up Wine development. :-).

--
John
dyson@freebsd.org