Date:      Wed, 04 Dec 1996 18:28:26 -0600
From:      Hal Snyder <hal@vailsys.com>
To:        burchs@netxpress.com
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: problems with win95 telnet

Sean Burchell wrote:

> I telnet from win95 using win95's telnet but I cannot find a good
> termcap entry to use for win95 telnets vt100 emulation...could someone
> please point me to the proper termcap entry or give me patches to an
> existing vt100 termcap entry to help it work well with windows 95
> telnet?  I am unable to find any information on this in the FAQs even
> though I would think it would be desperately needed.

The native telnet clients that ship with Win95 (or any other MS system)
have been riddled with bugs for years, and show no sign of being fixed.
There are better freeware and shareware telnet clients for Win32 - i.e.
they exhibit better VT100 compliance than MS and don't lose track the
output character queue pointers, don't get quite as mixed up when you
change color or font, etc.  I used to use EWAN, don't know if it's still
available...

Saying this, you will get best results telnetting from Win95 into a
FreeBSD vt100 session if you do these two simple things:

1.  grow you window to the largest possible size (you have to do this
every time you open a telnet)

2.  set terminal/preferences/buffer size to 24, not 25.