Date:      Wed, 4 Nov 2015 09:47:46 +0000
From:      Matt Churchyard <matt.churchyard@userve.net>
To:        Adam Vande More <amvandemore@gmail.com>, Shawn Debnath <shawn@debnath.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD virtualization <freebsd-virtualization@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: C bhyve administration tool

> Hello!
>
> Couple months ago I started writing a bhyve management tool in C for=20
> our startup, in preparation for migration to FreeBSD for our servers.=20
> The goal was to be able to create, drop, and auto-start/stop/restart=20
> VMs, individually or all at once, and provide a plugin infrastructure=20
> to expose some metrics / errors for reporting and aggregation. More=20
> importantly it would detect errors/failures, report them and attempt=20
> to restart the VM per assigned policy.
>
> The effort stalled due to some high priority work that crept in.
> However, I am planning on restarting soon and wanted to check if there=20
> was a need for something like this.  I ran across Michael Dexter's=20
> vmrc, and although its shell based, it does provide quite a bit of=20
> features that we were looking for.  There's also iohyve. And I heard=20
> Peter and Neel are working on something as well. If there is interest,=20
> this would be open sourced from the start. Or if there is an existing=20
> effort that addresses these problems, I would love to contribute to that =
project.

> Thoughts, comments, concerns, please share.
>

>vm-bhyve is most mature to this point IME, just don't use the ports versio=
n.

> Adam

Thanks Adam :)

I could do with updating the port. Unfortunately this is my first porting e=
xperience so not exactly sure of the 'correct' channel to go through to get=
 things updated. It took 2 months for my original port request to be addres=
sed and I'm not sure re-opening that bug is the right way to do it.

If anyone uses the port, the error that gets printed when running 'vm init'=
 can be completely ignored. It's just trying to load any existing virtual s=
witches from the switch configuration file, and complaining that the switch=
 configuration file doesn't exist. Apart from that and a few newer features=
/tweaks, I don't think there's anything particularly show-stopping about th=
e current port/package if people prefer installing it that way to downloadi=
ng from GitHub.

Of course it would still be interesting to see a "real" bhyve management to=
ol (possibly even an official one) written in C.

Matt