Date:      Thu, 01 May 1997 12:34:46 +1000
From:      Joel Sutton <sutton@aardvark.apana.org.au>
To:        Kevin Eliuk <kevin_eliuk@sunshine.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD-questions <FreeBSD-questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: popclient & procmail

> In order to sort the mailing list from a pop3 server do I pipe popclient
> through procmail?

I have a shell script which works well:

[snip]
echo "Checking for mail..."
popclient -3 -F -u username -p password -o /var/mail/.jsutton.popclient \
email.host.org

date
echo "Processing mail..."
formail -s procmail </var/mail/.jsutton.popclient
cat /var/mail/.jsutton.popclient >>/home/jsutton/Mail/mail-backup
cat /dev/null > /var/mail/.jsutton.popclient

playbucket /usr/local/ftp/wav/tng/Hailing.wav
[snip]

> As well is procmail case sensitive?

Can be. It depends on whether or not you want it to be.

procmail is a difficult one but it really is necessary to read the man
pages. If you want something simplier then perhaps the elm mail
filter, or mh's filter would be a better place to start off.

I use procmail with mh and exmh - which is fun to set up. :->

Good luck, Joel...