Date:      Sat, 15 Mar 1997 11:13:12 -0600
From:      Richard Wackerbarth <rkw@dataplex.net>
To:        Edward Wolpert <wolpert@i1.net>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Current stable from which freebsd release?

At 9:11 AM -0600 3/15/97, Edward Wolpert wrote:

>	I've been 'out of the loop' for a while, and was wondering
>which version of FBSD is -stable comming out of?  (2.1.7?)  When 2.2
>is released, will it automatically switch over to that one?

"Stable" is 2.1 (.7+ a little).
2.2 release will NOT automatically replace 2.1 as "stable" until it
gets "a little time under its belt".

Actually, 2.2 will NEVER replace 2.1 in the CTM distributions and I
think that folks are beginning to see the wisdom of using symbolic
links for "stable". Jordan already did that successfully for 2.2-GAMMA.

I suggest that you track distributions by their "real" name whenever
possible and simply use the descriptor such as "stable" to find out
the latest system which has reached that particular level in its
development cycle.