Date:      Thu, 30 Dec 1999 02:11:25 +1100 (EST)
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        Matthew Jacob <mjacob@feral.com>
Cc:        Bill Fumerola <billf@chc-chimes.com>, arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Changing diff's default output format

On Tue, 28 Dec 1999, Matthew Jacob wrote:

> That's hardly the point. The point here, which I won't defend very
> vigorously, is that there are maybe 10 basic Unix utilities, that should
> be default look pretty much the same across *all* Unix systems.
>
> There may be some POSIX collateral on this, if not SVID stuff- I'm too far

From a POSIX.2 draft:

P2> 4.17  diff - Compare two files
P2>
P2>
P2> 4.17.1  Synopsis
P2>
P2> diff  [ -c | -e | -C n ] [-br] file1 file2
P2>
P2>
P2> 4.17.2  Description
P2>
P2> The diff utility shall compare the contents of file1 and file2 and write
P2> to standard output a list of changes necessary to convert file1 into
P2> file2. This list should be minimal.  No output shall be produced if the
P2> files are identical.

Bruce