Date:      Wed, 11 Apr 2012 09:31:57 -0500
From:      Andrew Gould <andrewlylegould@gmail.com>
To:        Mike Clarke <jmc-freebsd2@milibyte.co.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, Dave B <dave@g8kbv.demon.co.uk>
Subject:   Re: FTP oddness, over SSH session.

On Wed, Apr 11, 2012 at 8:54 AM, Mike Clarke
<jmc-freebsd2@milibyte.co.uk> wrote:
> On Wednesday 11 April 2012, Dave B wrote:
>
>> I just found however, that though I can reliably send a file to the
>> FTP server and it get's saved just fine, that's not true when
>> connecting this way using a SSH tunnel.
>
> Would it not be simpler just to use sftp directly rather than tunnelling
> ftp through ssh?
>
> --
> Mike Clarke

Using sftp or scp is not just simpler in configuration, it has the
added benefit of being supported by cool gui applications (filezilla,
winscp, etc) that are available for multiple operating systems.

The only configuration change I make is to change the port used by
ssh.  That simple change eliminated most of the hacker attempts found
in various logs (failed logins, etc).

Andrew