Date:      Tue, 21 Nov 2000 12:29:06 +0100 (CET)
From:      Micke Josefsson <mj@isy.liu.se>
To:        Alexey <quad2@aport2000.ru>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: HELP !!!

On 21-Nov-00 Alexey wrote:
> Dear Sir.
> I have encountered some problems installing and running FreeBSD 4.1.1. Here is
> my system configuration: ABIT BF6 motherboard, Celeron 400 MHz, 32 Mb SDRAM,
> Voodoo Banshee, PCI Winmodem, SB16 and IDE Disks. During the first
> inslallation phase (two floppies -> menu -> full screen kernel config) there
> were 8 errors in "Network" section: 8 ethernet adapters were marked with CONF.
> So I disabled them all and installed FreeBSD. Then during the boot process it
> hang on sendmail init. So I had to dasable sendmail by putting NO in rc.conf's
> sendmail_enable section. So the boot process in now clear. But when I tried to
> install Midnight Commander port it hang on ifconf checking. What am I to do?

If you actually are installing a *port* then it expects the source code in
/usr/ports/distfiles/, if it's not there it will try and fetch it from the net
which must of course check if the NIC is there.

Either install midc as a package via /stand/sysinstall from CDROM, or get the
source tarball of midnight commander (it's a *.tgz name) from ftp.freebsd.org,
put it in the distfiles-dir then cd to the proper directory in /usr/ports... and
do a make install.

The second method is more cumbersome and, should there be a) dependencies that
the build of midc relies on, you will have to get them too, or it won't 'make
install' properly (it will say so though) or b) version discrepancies between
what the skeleton in /usr/ports expects and the actual *.tgz file in distfiles/
then the make will also fail, in which case you probably will have to update
your ports tree.

Stick to packages unless you have a very good reson not to.

/Micke

Michael Josefsson, MSEE
mj@isy.liu.se

This message was sent by XFMail