Date:      Mon, 18 Sep 2000 11:22:17 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Carlos A M dos Santos <casantos@cpmet.ufpel.tche.br>
To:        Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
Cc:        Mike Doyle <relyod@co-operation-ireland.ie>, freebsd-advocacy@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Articles on the "Open Source" concept

On Sun, 17 Sep 2000, Wes Peters wrote:

> Carlos A M dos Santos wrote:
> >
> > You shoult take a look at "The Ethics of Free Software" for a less rosy
> > point of view:
> >
> >         http://www.sdmagazine.com/features/2000/03/f4.shtml
>
> Heh, I've even referenced this article myself.  I did, however, have
> the sense to point out Dr. Meyer contradicts himself several times in
> the course of this diatribe, even stooping so low as to perform
> *exactly* the same disservice he so thoroughly chides Eric Raymond
> for, in the process of chiding Eric.  Upon contemplation, this is a
> poorly thought out impassioned plea masqeurading as a carefully
> written philosophical discourse.

Of course it's a philosophical discourse, in the same sense that ESR's
"The Cathedral and the Bazaar" (CatB) is, but I could not find a single
lie in Meyer's article. CatB, OTOH is full of false assumptions about the
quality of "open source" software and is based on a distorted
interpretation of Fred Brook's book "The mythical man-month". CatB has no
scientific base.

--
Carlos A. M. dos Santos

Federal University of Pelotas         Meteorological Research Center
Av. Ildefonso Simoes Lopes 2791       Pelotas, RS, Brasil, CEP 96060-290
WWW: http://www.cpmet.ufpel.tche.br   RENPAC (X.25): 153231641
Phone: +55 53 277-6767                FAX: +55 53 277-6722