Date:      Sat, 3 Oct 1998 04:52:08 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Joseph Koshy <jkoshy>
To:        ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        asami
Subject:   Re: ELF transition for ports (revised)

Hi Porters,

I'm not still sure how to handle ports that require different patches to
be applied when compiling for ELF vs when compiling for AOUT.  Typically
these ports will be attempting to optimize for the machine architecture
by writing performance critical portions of the code in assembly.
(Eg:- look at audio/mpg123 or lang/caml-light or graphics/xaos).

The problem is that we need to apply slightly different patches in these
cases in order to handle the leading underscore problem.

Should we have a patches.${PORTOBJFORMAT} directory with patches specific
to compiling under a particular OBJFORMAT?  Is there a better way of
handling this problem?

Thanks,
Koshy