Date:      Wed, 23 Jan 2002 15:54:50 -0600
From:      "Mike Meyer" <mwm-dated-1012254891.08eaa4@mired.org>
To:        Matthew Whelan <muttley@gotadsl.co.uk>
Cc:        Kent Stewart <kstewart@owt.com>, Mike Tancsa <mike@sentex.net>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: make -j4 world

Matthew Whelan <muttley@gotadsl.co.uk> types:
> >make -j4 world
> Isn't this strongly disrecommended anyway? Admittedly this is apparently
> dying in making depend, but world installs too and from the handbook:
>
> Note: If you specified variables on the make buildworld command line, you
> must specify the same variables in the make installworld command line. This
> does not necessarily hold true for other options; for example, -j must never
> be used with installworld.                                     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

From /usr/src/Makefile:

world: upgrade_checks
	[...]
	@cd ${.CURDIR}; ${MAKE} buildworld
	@cd ${.CURDIR}; ${MAKE} -B installworld

and the make(1) man page:

     -B      Try to be backwards compatible by executing a single shell per
             command and by executing the commands to make the sources of a
             dependency line in sequence.  This is turned on by default unless
             -j is used.

In other words, the authors expected world to be made with the -j
flag, and tried to make sure it would work properly. I know it has for
me at times in the past.

	<mike