Date:      Sun, 13 Feb 2005 16:32:23 -0500
From:      Ean Kingston <ean@hedron.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Recommended desktop?

On February 13, 2005 08:18 am, Len Zettel wrote:
> I am looking for a desktop environment to run
> with freebsd. I will be the sole user.
>
> Must-have:
> graphical ftp client
> spreadsheet package capable of handling .xls files
> word processor capable of handling .doc files
> ability to handle email
> web browser.

KDE has all that you want in the full install and is pretty easy to install.

I haven't tried it in a long time but I believe that Gnome would also satisfy
your needs.

As another poster suggested, you may want to add OpenOffice to handle the .xls
and .doc files. It is a bit better at handling them than KOffice (which comes
with KDE).

You may also want to consider installing Firefox or the generic Mozilla
browser. Konqueror (the browser supplied with KDE) is a little bit different
than the Mozilla group and sometimes a website will not render well in
Konqueror but does in Mozilla/Firefox (sometimes it is the other way around
too).