Date:      Fri, 09 Nov 2012 09:28:10 +0100
From:      Frank Broniewski <brfr@metrico.lu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Postgresql related memory question

Hi,

I recently had a discussion of PostgreSQLs memory usage on FreeBSD,
notably the display of the different memory types in top, on the
PostgreSQL mailing list [1]. My server has 32GB ram, of which approx.
8GB vanish from tops display after a while. My question was wether there
is a memory problem on FreeBSD or if top is not capable of dealing well
with PostgreSQLs memory handling, eg. the shared_buffers.

We used a perl script [2] to get a better understanding of the current
memory usage on FreeBSD and a line from the scripts output caught my eye:
 > mem_gap_vm:  +   8812892160 (   8404MB) [ 26%] Memory gap: UNKNOWN

I don't have a good understanding of the different types of system
memory, so the question is, in relation with PostgreSQL, if the
mem_gap_vm value can be considered normal or if it is a sign of memory
leak. Since this question is more of a FreeBSD question, we decided to
move the discussion here in order to get more insight on the system
internals :-)
This value equals more or less the shared buffers (shared_buffers=8GB)
setting of PostgreSQL and is stable, which means, it doesn't change
anymore after reaching its peak value.

I did post already some system configuration information in the thread
on the PostgreSQL list, but I am happy to provide all the information
necessary to shed some light on this matter.

Many thanks,

Frank

[1]
http://postgresql.1045698.n5.nabble.com/Memory-issue-on-FreeBSD-td5730651.html