Date:      Thu, 23 Mar 2017 11:00:07 -0400
From:      William Dudley <wfdudley@gmail.com>
To:        Matthew Seaman <matthew@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: how do I get STARTTLS working with sendmail on FreeBSD 10.3 ?

Let's assume that I have no idea what I'm talking about.
However, I can successfully report what I SEE.

1. Android's mail app wants to use STARTTLS when it connects to my mail
server, for
whatever reason (send or receive) isn't important now.  It wants it, and I
want it to be
happy, or else it doesn't work.

2. When I telnet to port 25 of my mail server, sendmail does NOT announce
STARTTLS
as one of it's capabilities.  This, despite my having all the incantations
*apparently" correct
in my hostname.mc, fresh self signed cert and key file in /etc/mail/certs,
and various other
things that have been suggested/intimated by various sources.

It would be nice to solve the problem stated in the Subject of this
insanely long thread:

Why is my sendmail refusing to announce STARTTLS ?

Thanks,
Bill Dudley

This email is free of malware because I run Linux.