Date:      Mon, 5 Jan 1998 14:46:22 -0800
From:      "Shan-Min Chao" <shanmin@lvdi.net>
To:        <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   PPP

Hi!
    I am a beginner at FreeBSD and have some questions concerning logging on
to my ISP.  I currently have the FreeBSD 2.2.2 CD from Walnut Creek.
I have installed the OS without any real problems.  I tried to dial in using
by US Robotics X2 on Com2 using the PPP->term->atdt commands.  It would dial
in fine, and give me an IP address.  When I push "alt-F2" to go to my other
terminal screen, and tried to ping yahoo.com, I would get a "no route to
host" error message.  Same thing happens to every ping, ftp, and traceroute
I would attempt.  The only configuration I have made to my modem is through
the /stand/sysinstall utility.
My ISP does dynamix IP addressing, so I put .lvdi.net under the host name
(lvdi.net is my ISP's domain).
Do you people have any idea what i should do to connect properly?  Can you
be specific in your answers?  I would really appreciate any help, as my UNIX
education would greatly expand once I get internet access through my UNIX
OS.  Thank you very much for your time.