Date:      Tue, 3 Apr 2007 05:36:14 -0500
From:      Eric Crist <mnslinky@gmail.com>
To:        Gregory Houston <gregory.houston@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: WWW as File and Directory Owner rather than User

On Apr 3, 2007, at 4:01 AM, Gregory Houston wrote:
> Should WWW be able to be the owner? If not, how do I take its
> privileges
> away? Root is listed as a user in MySQL, as well as myself, but WWW
> is not.
>
> Now I am afraid to create any new WordPress entries because I don't
> know if
> all my apps are going to start creating files with WWW as the owner
> rather
> than me.

Greg, the www user/group is fairly standard, as it's usually the
unprivileged user that the web server software is run as.  The www
user/group is on the FreeBSD system itself, not the MySQL instance.
Any time a php script creates, edits, or removes a file, it's going
to typically be done with the www user/group.

One solution would be to ask your friend to make you a member of the
www group, which should allow you to modify/delete any files that the
scripts create.  A better solution would be to setuid on the
directory, and give www temporary write access when you need to
perform an installation such that you just experienced.

HTH
-----
Eric F Crist
Secure Computing Networks