Date:      Fri, 11 Nov 2016 00:07:50 -0800
From:      Adrian Chadd <adrian.chadd@gmail.com>
To:        "freebsd-mips@freebsd.org" <freebsd-mips@freebsd.org>, Brooks Davis <brooks@freebsd.org>, Ruslan Bukin <br@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: mips24k (and others?) no longer works

Hiya,

So mips on the atheros 24kc and 74kc parts is just completely borked.
It varies between "this doesn't even boot" to "all I get are spams of
failure exceptions", and if i back out a variety of hilarity, i end up
with a userland that just plainly hangs after userland runs for a
little while. No CTRL-T, nothing obvious in ddb. But hey, 'cont' in
ddb now works.

The working release for me is 304552, which is when I finished
updating the atheros config files to use std.XXXX instead of
ARXXXX_BASE.

It's going to take some time to find the first point where things
broke. It's likely going to be a combination of everyone's recent mips
platform changes (most of the exceptions, the not-booting-at-all) and
other unrelated kernel changes to other areas (likely the hang.)

I ask that people hold off on the MIPS side of work until I figure out
what's going on here.

Also - I really do suggest you invest $40 in a carambola 2 so you have
the AR9331 as a reference platform to do MIPS testing on. These
mips24kc, FPU-less cut down SoCs are in a lot of things and having now
heavily broken support for them is kinda sad. :( It's also putting a
cramp on my ability to finish my net80211 and 11ac changes as a whole
lot of it depends upon working AP hardware to test against.

Thanks,

-adrian