Date:      Sun, 27 May 2018 12:03:44 +1000
From:      Felix Friedlander <felixphew0@gmail.com>
To:        "M. P." <wintermute24x7@icloud.com>
Cc:        blubee blubeeme <gurenchan@gmail.com>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FBSD on Mac

> On 27 May 2018, at 10:23, blubee blubeeme <gurenchan@gmail.com> wrote:
>=20
>> On Sun, May 27, 2018, 08:02 M. P. <wintermute24x7@icloud.com> wrote:
>>=20
>> Hello I have succeded in creating an install disk for Mac but when I =
try
>> to install single user the process hangs and I get the message  Power =
Fault
>> Detected. Any Ideas? Does the Mac hard drive have to be formatted for =
FBSD?
>=20
> I wouldn't recommend trying to run anything not Mac OS on their =
machines.
>=20
> If your Mac is up to version 11.2 or lower you should be fine.
>=20
> The new Mac hardware actively does things to thwart anyone who tries =
to run
> non Mac OS.
>=20
> Even if you do get it up and running, the wifi will be broken so =
you'll
> need a dongle.
>=20
> GPU will give you trouble as well.
>=20
> If it's one of the newer Mac with those led buttons you're totally out =
of
> luck.
>=20
> If you are able to reverse engineer custom hardware and write custom
> drivers then you might be OK.
>=20
> If not, either run FreeBSD in a VM on Mac, sell that Mac and buy a
> compatible laptop or ...
>=20
> Best,
> Owen

On the contrary, I=E2=80=99ve had great success running FreeBSD on Apple =
hardware. The hardware=E2=80=99s not actively thwarting anything, and =
FreeBSD already has drivers for most of the custom or less common =
hardware. (The one exception is Wi-Fi, which is unlikely to work unless =
you have quite an old Mac.)

When you say the boot process hangs, does the entire OS stop responding, =
or just the installer? Is there any more detail in the message than =
Power Fault Detected?

And to answer your question, yes, the hard drive has to be formatted, =
but the FreeBSD installer will do that for you automatically.

- Felix=