Date:      Mon, 08 Nov 2010 12:50:52 +0100
From:      Ivan Voras <ivoras@freebsd.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: UFS

On 11/08/10 11:01, Samuel Martín Moro wrote:

> In my opinion, the only chance to get back the data would be to plug an
> additional drive, make a huge swap file...
> Knowing that context switching, on such an amount of RAM ... that would at
> least take days.
>

> In doubt: am I missing something? Is there an easier way?

Basically, no.

You can't expect fsck a 44 TB drive with 2 GB of RAM, there is too much
information to be kept while checking.

However, IIRC there have been some committed patches in 7 and later
which reduced the amount of memory so going with at least 7-STABLE would
be better.

It would of course be even better to go with 8-STABLE or wait for 9.0
which should be released in several months and then either use UFS-SUJ
or ZFS.