Date:      Thu, 28 Dec 1995 16:59:48 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        "Amancio Hasty Jr." <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>
Cc:        sos@FreeBSD.ORG, msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au, jdli@linux.csie.nctu.edu.tw, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: syscons driver

> Me thinks this group is too OS centric .
>
> The point that it must run  on minimal hardware is debatable at this time
> tnks to Win95 8) Many are upgrading the systems with enough resources
> to run a multitasking operating system. I bought a P100 not too long ago and
> it is expected that P100 will be the entry level Pentium in less than
> 6 months . Disks are cheap now days. Due to Win95 many are gettting 16MB
> of memory.

And all unfortunately irrelevant if you CAN'T GET X TO WORK ON YOUR
HARDWARE!

Seriously, if you think it's easy then I suggest that you spend a
little time hanging out in the questions@xfree86.org mailing list to
find out just how wrong you are.  The X installation and configuration
issue is an *utter disaster* that we're slowly getting around to
fixing, but to suggest that the whole X mileau is something you could
drop a novice user into ("What's a clock chip?  What do all these
timing numbers mean?!") right now just doesn't seem to match any
definition of reality that I'm currently familiar with.

					Jordan