Date:      Tue, 14 Sep 2004 22:07:27 +0300
From:      Ruslan Ermilov <ru@freebsd.org>
To:        Kevin Oberman <oberman@es.net>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 5.3-BETA3: "man pcm" has wrong information

--ZPt4rx8FFjLCG7dd

On Tue, Sep 14, 2004 at 11:16:35AM -0700, Kevin Oberman wrote:
> > Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2004 10:32:21 +0900
> > From: Rob <spamrefuse@yahoo.com>
> > Sender: owner-freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
> >=20
> >=20
> > Hi,
> >=20
> > Do following remarks belong to stable or current (or elsewhere) ?
> >=20
> > This is for 5.3-BETA3. When I do 'man pcm', it tells me to use
> >=20
> >    device pcm
> >=20
> > in the kernel configuration file, but for 5.3 this is incorrect.
> > It should be 'device sound' with the additional sound device
> > module.
> >=20
> > Is the pcm manpage forgotten to be updated for 5.3 ?
>=20
> It was updated in head about a week ago. I hope it will MT5 shortly.
> Ruslan, in consultation with cg, did a major re-work of the sound
> pages. You can get the latest and greatest from CVS for HEAD.
> http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/src/share/man/man4/
>=20
"Major" is overestimated here -- just some small tweaks to the
current text to adopt to reality.  The Handbook's sound chapter
has also been updated.  For one, the SYNOPSIS of the sound(4)
manpage is lying about that you need only "device sound" to
get you sound -- you also need "device snd_<driver>".

Once the sound-related renaming is done (there are further plans
to do some more renames for better consistency in naming), the
sound(4) manpage will be replaced by the snd(4) manpage (yeah,
welcome back, old good "snd").

Cheers,
--=20
Ruslan Ermilov