Date:      Thu, 22 Dec 2011 17:01:57 +0100
From:      Oliver Brandmueller <ob@e-Gitt.NET>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: SCHED_ULE should not be the default

On Thu, Dec 15, 2011 at 05:25:51PM +0100, Attilio Rao wrote:
> If someone else thinks he has a specific problem that is not
> characterized by one of the cases above please let me know and I will
> put this in the chart.

It seems I stumbled over another thing.

Setup: 2 Servers providing devices by ggated, 1 Server using ggatec for
those devices. ZFS over each a pair of disks provided by both ggated
servers. I use rsync to fill up the 6 zpools/zfs from an existing
storage (2 TB zpools, about 500 to 700 GiB user per pool). 2 rsyncs
running in parallel to fill the partitions. Main server (ggate client
with ZFS and rsync) has an Intel Xeon X3450 2.66 GHz quadcore processor
(+HTT or whatever it's called nowadays, gives 8 "cpus" in FreeBSD).

With ULE ZFS gets slower after some time and finally gets stuck after 1
to 3 days of continouus synchronisation (ggate works like a charm as far
as I can tell), with 4BSD (online since 6 days) the rsync seems to run a
lot faster and I didn't get ZFS to stall. There's nearly no local I/O
(system is on a local SSD) and the load/CPU usage are not actually high.

All is running a quite recent RELENG_9

If anyone's interested I can get more detail and carry out some tests.

- Oliver

--
| Oliver Brandmueller          http://sysadm.in/         ob@sysadm.in |
|                        Ich bin das Internet. Sowahr ich Gott helfe. |