Date:      Wed, 15 May 2002 10:56:43 +0200
From:      Jeremy Lea <reg@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Ruslan Ermilov <ru@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: make includes

Hi,

On Tue, May 14, 2002 at 06:05:27PM +0300, Ruslan Ermilov wrote:
> On Wed, May 15, 2002 at 12:18:04AM +1000, Bruce Evans wrote:
> > That's rather hackish, and doesn't handle garbage other than includes.
> > I usually find stale files by comparing my world with a world installed
> > in a nonstandard DESTDIR.  A mergemaster-like utility could automate
> > this.
> >
> Yes, I do this the same way actually.  :-)

For once I'd have to disagree with Bruce about the right way to do this.
The right way is to have a packaging list, and to be able to pkg_upgrade
from /usr/src, which would do an orderly removal of all of the files
installed by an old world...  Then we can start work on spliting the
world into seperate packages.  We could even automate the generation of
the packaging list because we know everything in /usr/src is installed
by an install target somewhere in bsd.*.mk.

To answer the obvious questions: No, this is not possible at the moment.
Yes, it is fairly easy to achieve.

Regards,
  -Jeremy

--
FreeBSD - Because the best things in life are free...
                                           http://www.freebsd.org/