Date:      Wed, 08 Dec 2004 22:21:24 -0200
From:      =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Crist=F3v=E3o_Dalla_Costa?= <cbraga@desnormal.com.br>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   5.3R crashing repeateadly

Hello

I just installed 5.3 RELEASE on a new server today and everytime I try
to compile someting for more than five minutes it crashes.

The message it said in the console is something like "page fault while
in kernel mode", excuse-me if I don't remember it verbatim but I just
drove home from the datacenter and it crashed again.

The setup is a P4 Xeon HT with a Asus PC-DL motherboard and four serial
ata drives in RAID 10 mode using vinum. I actually had to use the gvinum
hack to get the system to boot.

Why the hell doesn't it reboot after it crashes? Is there anything I can
to to make it reboot in case o a crash? And, can I somehow keep it from
crashing?

I'm a FreeBSD fan of several years, having used it exclusively for
servers since 4.3 and now I'm seriously considering throwing this thing
out and installing some sort of Linux. It took me the whole day to get
aroung the vinum troubles and now I can't install the ports because it
keeps crashing.

Furthermore, what sort of reliability can I expect from this server?
It's 10:30 pm and I'm driving to the datacenter to push the reset button
for the third time.

Thanks for any help.

Cristóvão