Date:      Tue, 20 Jul 1999 21:03:49 -0400
From:      Brian Reichert <reichert@numachi.com>
To:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Managing SMTP vs spam

On Tue, Jul 20, 1999 at 08:44:33PM -0400, Francisco Reyes wrote:
> I would like to setup SMTP so after a fetch for ## number of minutes
> (i.e. 30 minutes) the user can send through my box.After the time has
> expired then my server will not relay for that computer anymore until
> they do a fetch.

I've seen some talk on the qmail <http://www.qmail.org>; lists about
this very thing.

> I have few users, but as most people do, they don't have static IPs so
> the only way to do the above would be to capture the address/name(?)
> when they fetch their mail.

I seem to recall a key feature was, once they successfully connected
to a IMAP (or was it POP) server, the IP address they connected from
at the time would be temporarily allowed to relay through the SMTP
server.

There are mailing list archives from that website; and I see one link:

  http://www.davideous.com/smtp-poplock/

  David Harris has a similar system to only allow hosts who have
  authenticated via the POP3 server to relay mail using qmail. This
  does not require patching the POP or SMTP servers, but is
  implemented by two programs which cleanly interface into the
  system, and can work with most any POP or IMAP server.

--
Brian 'you Bastard' Reichert		reichert@numachi.com
37 Crystal Ave. #303			Daytime number: (781) 899-7484 x704