Date:      Tue, 07 Nov 2000 23:08:12 -0500
From:      Michael DeMutis <maillist@2gen.net>
To:        Ken Bolingbroke <freebsd@bolingbroke.com>, Mars Attack <marsattack@cannoncreek.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 4.1.1-Stable

Yikes, I'm lost.

I had always thought that the RELENG_4 tag was always going to carry the
4.x-STABLE name.  And that the BETA was really 4.x-CURRENT ?  What happened
to CURRENT or has it been done away with?

-mike

At 12:27 AM 03/11/00 -0800, Ken Bolingbroke wrote:

>On Fri, 3 Nov 2000, Mars Attack wrote:
>
>> sorry, folks if it cost you some time, i did not believe that:
>> 4.2-BETA = 4.1.1-STABLE
>> the name implies that its still in BETA stage and not STABLE as -STABLE
>> is...
>> i may have missed some things while upgrading to a later -Stable that's why
>> it seemed buggy
>
>You may be thinking of a "beta" in the sense of something that comes from
>a certain company in Redmond.  They throw in lots of new things, then ship
>it out to their customers for testing, and call that a beta (and sometimes
>even a release).
>
>FreeBSD doesn't work that way.  The -STABLE branches are in constant
>development, a moving stream with things being fixed and improved
>everyday.  At a certain point along this stream, the stream is renamed
>from 4.1.1-STABLE to 4.2-BETA.  There hasn't been any major changes in the
>stream of development, it's just that the core developers decided that
>things were at the point for a new release.  So right now we're in the
>lockdown period where new things won't be added while what we have now is
>tested and ensured to be running well.  In fact, for that very reason,
>4.2-BETA will be more stable than 4.1.1-STABLE, because things aren't
>changing so much right now.
>
>When 4.2-BETA is judged to be worthy of -RELEASE status, the stream will
>be renamed 4.2-RELEASE and that release will be set in stone forever.  But
>the stream will continue moving on as 4.2-STABLE.
>
>Forget the terminology you learned in the rest of the world.  Around here
>4.2-BETA == (4.1.1-STABLE + bugfixes).
>
>At least that's my take on it.  If I got anything wrong, I'm sure someone
>will correct me...
>
>Ken

>with "unsubscribe freebsd-stable" in the body of the message

Michael DeMutis
System's Administrator  ||  2Gen.Inc.
143 James Street South, Suite 300, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada L8P 3A1
email: mike@2gen.net   website: http://www.2gen.net/
Phone: 905-308-9155   Fax: 905-308-9519   ICQ UIN: 1257176
"Merging Media & Idea To Bring Internet Exposure to Innovative Businesses"