Date:      Mon, 10 May 1999 09:10:45 -0700
From:      Studded <Studded@gorean.org>
To:        Jason McGee <goodmis@hotmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Printer, Ports & Monitor

Jason McGee wrote:

> Printer:
>
> I have set up FreeBSD for printing.  I verified that /var/spool was correct.
>   I did lptest > /dev/lpt0 and the printer responded.  When I tried to print
> a file, I got the folllowing:
>
> lpr: connect: No such file or directory
> jobs queued, but cannot start daemon
>
> I verified that the queue has the jobs.

	Is lpd running? lpr feeds it's jobs to lpd to do the actual printing.

> Ports:
>
> I would like to load my ports from the cdrom.  The cdrom is in the /dev
> directory but /cdrom is empty. I want to load pdksh but that failed also.

	There are several entries in the FAQ and Handbook about this, you should
really read the details about mounting your cdrom. Doing it right is easy
once you know how, doing it wrong is really bad.

> Monitor:
>
> I have a Dell monitor with a S3 Vision 968 PCI card.  I want to load X but
> I'm not sure which driver to use.

	There is a list at http://xfree86.org/ that tells you what server to run
with what card.

> Finally, I would like to change the
> display.  I read the manual and tried all the buttons on the front.  I
> wonder if could change it through FreeBSD.  I would like 1024 x 768.

	Once you install X this is very easy, xf86config will walk you through it.

> Just curious. I set PS1 to show my current working directory using pwd.
> However, when I switch to a lower directory, the prompt keeps the home
> directory. I wonder if this is because I'm using sh instead of pdksh.

	Probably, yes. I'm not terribly familiar with pdksh, but that sounds
right. Now if you wanted to use Bash it'd be easy to fix... :)

Good luck,

Doug