Date:      Mon, 13 Dec 2004 13:16:55 -0600
From:      "Kevin D. Kinsey, DaleCo, S.P." <kdk@daleco.biz>
To:        Nathan Kinkade <nkinkade@ub.edu.bz>
Cc:        "Colin J. Raven" <colin@kozy-kabin.nl>
Subject:   Re: Reasonable Hyperterminal alternative?

Nathan Kinkade wrote:

>>>Are you looking for something to run under BSD? If so, minicom is great.
>>>/usr/ports/comms/minicom/
>>>___
>>>Dan
>>>

>>I just went throught he same, myself. I like minicom, and I also found
>>CuteCom (http://cutecom.sourceforge.net/) a nice one with a GUI. This
>>one doesn't dial, however. Just console connections.
>>
>>Take care,
>>Mike
>>

>Depending on how you define "reasonable", you can always use the stock
>utilities that come with a base install of FreeBSD: tip(1) or cu(1).  It
>is the same binary hardlinked by those two filenames.  Certainly they
>are not as easy to use as minicom, and are probably not as feature rich,
>but should work nonetheless and wouldn't require to install another
>program if you are keen on keeping the system as close to the base
>as possible.
>
>Nathan

And, on that line of thought, I suppose that kermit is a/the canonical
piece of software, traditionally speaking; but last I looked, it was
a significant time investment unless you just pick up things like that
automagically.  Featureful, though; but not part of base.

But, we'll soon have every alternative listed in this thread
if we keep redefining "reasonable", which is a rather subjective
term, I suppose ...

Kevin Kinsey