Date:      Thu, 11 Apr 2002 09:24:24 -0400
From:      Matt Simerson <freebsd@blockads.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Is natd the right tool?

--Apple-Mail-1--577924979

Natd is a very cool tool for doing stuff like redirecting connections
from an external network to an internal one but I'm have a slightly
different problem. I have a single host with one public interface:

      host - fxp0  =   192.168.7.251

Also on this same host is a bunch more IP's on the loopback interface:

      host - lo0  = 127.0.0.1
                         127.0.0.2

On each of the loopback addresses I have a DNS server listening. This
part works just fine:

matt@matt: {101} % dig www.foo.com @127.0.0.2
<verbosity snipped>
;; ANSWER SECTION:
www.foo.com.            1D IN A         207.89.154.94

What I want to be able to do is send a dns query to the external
interface of the machine on a non-standard port and have it redirect the
query to a loopback address/port and return the query the appropriate
query result to me.

So, after reading the man page several times, I've tried using natd like
this:

     natd -n fxp0 -redirect_port udp 127.0.0.2:53  192.168.7.251:55

However, doing so simply get's me a connection refused when I send it a
query like this:

matt@matt: {102} % dig -p 55 @192.168.7.251 www.foo.com

; <<>> DiG 8.3 <<>> -p @192.168.7.251 www.foo.com
; (1 server found)
;; res_nsend to server 192.168.7.251: Connection refused
matt@matt: {103} %

I'm not exactly certain why it's failing. Is this the best approach to
solving this problem?  Is there a better way to go about this?

Matt

--Apple-Mail-1--577924979