Date:      Sun, 07 Jan 2018 21:43:56 +0200
From:      clutton <clutton@zoho.com>
To:        Michael Gmelin <freebsd@grem.de>, "freebsd-current@freebsd.org" <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>, "freebsd-x11@freebsd.org" <freebsd-x11@freebsd.org>, "freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org" <freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Running FreeBSD on the Lenovo Thinkpad T470s (success)

--=-yXmu7Y5m2WX6RjsXL/19

On Sat, 2017-12-30 at 15:58 +0100, Michael Gmelin wrote:
> Hi,

Running carbon 5th gen I can't call my setup a success. Wireless iwm
doesn't support even N and AC is not supported at all. The wifi is much
slower then on my old machines. I'm going to replace the wifi card in
mean time, any suggestions which one to buy?

Graphics works perfectly. NVMe SSD with OPAL wouldn't allow machine to
resume from sleep, sometimes it does after big timeout and writing
errors to console, sometime it just reboots.

Thinkpad Thunderbolt Dock Station, here is where things get
interesting. If I boot machine connected to dock station, peripheral
devices would work, external monitor, keyboard, and mouse. There's no
other way I know to make it work. Once detached - it wouldn't see
devices again. Booting and THEN attaching - the same, machine wouldn't
see devices.

Here is the device being seen (a lot of pcib*):
pcib5@pci0:6:0:0:	class=3D0x060400 card=3D0x11112222 chip=3D0x15d38086
rev=3D0x02 hdr=3D0x01
    vendor     =3D 'Intel Corporation'
    device     =3D 'JHL6540 Thunderbolt 3 Bridge (C step) [Alpine Ridge
4C 2016]'
    class      =3D bridge
    subclass   =3D PCI-PCI

For me the main concern is Thunderbolt thought, docking station is
amazing thing. Any ideas and thought how to make it work would be
highly appreciated.
--=-yXmu7Y5m2WX6RjsXL/19

--=-yXmu7Y5m2WX6RjsXL/19--