Date:      Mon, 24 Feb 97 23:21 CST
From:      uhclem@nemesis.lonestar.org (Frank Durda IV)
To:        hackers@freebsd.org, current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Can mkisofs leave file dates unaltered? [repost]

[sorry for the repost, but I got zero response in hackers and no email.
 Perhaps it was because it was one article buried in the middle of a
 much larger mkisofs thread]

I am trying to use mkisofs to create some backups and it appears to be
working fine, except that the stored files all have dates and times of
when mkisfos was run instead of the actual date/time stamps on the
files I am trying to archive.

I know this isn't a restriction of ISO 9660 since I used to use a
Meridian CD-ROM mastering system and it had no problem with leaving file
dates as they were in the master directories.   Only the directory dates
reflected the time when the ISO 9660 filesystem was constructed.
That's OK.  The Windows Easy-CD package also has no problem with
leaving the date/times on the files unaltered.

Any ideas?  The man page for mkisofs doesn't seem to mention anything
about controlling dates.   I need the CD9660 date/times on files to be
unaltered so that a non-Rock Ridge systems (Windoze/DOS) will see the
correct dates.

Keeping the dates/times correct is important for legal reasons.

The system being used is running 2.2-GAMMA, HP4020i burner, and the
mkisofs package that 2.2-GAMMA-0215 provides.

Thanks for any pointers.

Frank Durda IV <uhclem@nemesis.lonestar.org>|"The Knights who say "LETNi"
or uhclem%nemesis@rwsystr.nkn.net           | demand...  A SEGMENT REGISTER!!!"
					    |"A what?"
or ...letni!rwsys!nemesis!uhclem	    |"LETNi! LETNi! LETNi!"  - 1983