Date:      Fri, 23 Sep 2005 09:14:17 +0000 (UTC)
From:      Christoph Sold <Christoph.Sold@Bahn.de>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 6-Release Beta 5: extremely slow installation in VMWare 4.52

Scott Long <scottl <at> samsco.org> writes:

> Christoph Sold wrote:
>
> > Hi All,
> >
> > trying to install 6-stable in a VMWare 4.5.2 WS installation, running on
> > an 1.6 GHz Celeron CPU.
> > After 3 hours, it still extracts scontrib into /usr/src directory.
> > On tty 3, top tells cpio ist in vlruwk state for ages.
> > CPU states: 0.1% user, 0.0% nice, 0.4% system, 0.8 interrupt, 99.5% idle.
> >
> > Installing Beta 4 went flawlessly, so I guess some filesystem change
> > since then is the culprit.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Christoph Sold
>
> We mostly have reports on VMWare 5, not 4, so given those reports I'm
> surprised that it works at all =-)  I can't think of anything that has
> changed that would be a smoking gun.  In fact, debugging was removed
> from BETA5, so it _should_ go faster, not slower.  Do you have the
> ability to install BETA4 and then incrementally update the source tree?
> That might be a good way to find out what happened.
>
> Scott

Unfortunately, our corporate firewall blocks anything but http/port80,
https/port443. Thus, neither CVS nor CVSup are an option. in addition, the
install is still running after 24 hours. At this time, the full install churns
slowly against ports/x11-themes.

I'll grab a cvs repository at home, but do not expect results before Tuesday,
since I'm on vacation this weekend.

One more hint: "calcru: runtime went backwards..." pops up once or twice for
each file.

-Christoph