Date:      Mon, 28 Aug 2000 12:17:23 -0400
From:      Chris <kingsqueak@kingsqueak.org>
To:        William Woods <bwoods2@mail.gplsucks.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: XFree 4.01 questions....

On Mon, Aug 28, 2000 at 08:48:52AM -0700, William Woods wrote:
> I have a laptop (IBM Thinkpad 600E) running just fine right now with XFree
> 3.3.6. I am debating going to XFree 4.01, but a couple things first.
>
> Are there any major benefits in going to 4.01 ?

If your setup works, you're happy with it...probably not at this point.
I'm using 4.0.1 for support with chipsets not nearly as well supported
with 3.3.6.  It works quite nicely for my ATI and G400 cards.

If you are curious and don't mind playing around, go for it, /usr/ports
is your answer....it was sooo nice installing 4.0.1 without all the
broken dependency hassle of a linux distro ;-).

> Does 4.01 have a graphical config program like 3.3.6 (XF86setup) in it ?

Yup...still under development though...but has worked fine for me so
far.

Actually there is a new method 'XFree86 -configure' that does a nice job
of getting a base config setup and working, then I've just been adding
my Modeline entries and any additional modules to load in the config
that is generated.  If your card is supported and your monitor is Plug
and Play and id'd properly that command will do everything but
DefaultDepth, Modelines <maxed out refresh> for you.

While I'm rambling, this link is fantastic for generating Modes
http://www-sop.inria.fr/cgi-bin/koala/nph-colas-modelines

> Any major pitfalls I should be aware of?
>
> I assume, I can not use my current /etc/XF86Config file in 4.01 right?

Yes, don't use your old XF86Config...though you may want to keep a copy
handy for sure as it works...if 4.0.1 doesn't work out you can always go
back and just drop your working config back in.