Date:      Wed, 14 Feb 1996 10:22:49 -0800 (PST)
From:      Archie Cobbs <archie@tribe.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   FreeBSD in 5 megs?

Hi,

FreeBSD 2.1.0 should be able to run in 5 megs of memory, right?
I just got the following error on a rather minimalist machine
I'm trying to bring up:

  CPU: Cy486DLC (486-class CPU)
    Origin = "Cyrix"
    real memory  = 5242880 (5120K bytes)
    avail memory = 3858432 (3768K bytes)
  Probing for devices on the ISA bus:

  [ ... normal devices come up ... ]

  clearing /tmp
  recording kernel -c changes
  starting daemons: syslogd inetd cron.
  setting ldconfig path: /usr/lib /usr/local/lib
  Feb 14 10:11:35 mini /kernel: pid 5: sh: uid 0: exited on signal 11
  Feb 14 10:11:35 mini init: /bin/sh on /etc/rc terminated abnormally,
    going to single user mode
  Enter pathname of shell or RETURN for sh:
  erase ^H, kill ^U, intr ^C
  # swapinfo -k
  Device      1K-blocks     Used    Avail Capacity  Type
  /dev/wd0b       51200        0    51136     0%    Interleaved
  #

This has happened pretty rarely and randomly, but it definately happens.
In general, some random process gets a signal and dies. This machine is
also booted diskless via NFS sometimes, and this seems to increase the
likelihood of this happening.

My guess is that there's some hardware problem, but this has happened on
a couple of different machines and I'd like to try to eliminate other
possibilities as well.

Thanks for any insights,
-Archie

Archie L. Cobbs, archie@tribe.com  *  Tribe Computer Works http://www.tribe.com