Date:      Sat, 3 Oct 1998 11:30:54 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Marty Cawthon <mrc@ChipChat.com>
To:        spork <spork@super-g.com>
Cc:        "Jason C. Wells" <jcwells@u.washington.edu>, Malartre <malartre@aei.ca>, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Slowly going blind ;-)

On Fri, 2 Oct 1998, spork wrote:

> Is it just me, or is the LCD screen easiest to look at for long stretches?
>
> Waiting for flat panel prices to drop,

  We recently used several Eizo Flat Panel Displays, 15 inch, at an
"Internet Cafe" at a local cultural event.
  It was unanimous among many people that the quality of the images
was better than a CRT (Cathode Ray Tube) - especially for displays of
images (photos).

  A technical reason for this better quality might be that a CRT shoots
out a beam of electrons, which is guided by Electric and Magnetic fields
thru a "shadow mask" and ultimately to a spot on the inside of the
monitor that lights up "Red", "Blue", or "Green". It's impossible for
the focus of that beam to be perfect over the entire screen, so some
of the beam "spills over" to the next 'pixel' of color.
  Put your nose against your monitor and look - you will see the
imperfections. It will vary from one part of your screen to another.

  The LCD (Liquid Crystal Display) is solid state, so there are "no moving
parts"  - no electron beam traversing long distances. Put your nose
against one of these and you see a 'perfect' image.

  The Eizo monitors we used were priced at US$ 2999. in January.
In July they were US$ 1999. And in September a new model (better)
was introduced at US$ 1599.
  Eizo loaned them to us for the cultural event at which they appeared,
so I remain true to the fiscal thinking of my Scottish ancestors.
  The trend is clear.... these monitors will soon be affordable.

  In the meantime I am still eating lots of carrots.

Marty Cawthon
ChipChat