Date:      Tue, 5 Jan 1999 12:56:19 +1300 (NZDT)
From:      Jonathan Chen <jonc@pinnacle.co.nz>
To:        Andrew <andrew@violet.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: shared libs question (overlooked in freebsd-questions)

On Wed, 30 Dec 1998, Andrew wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I am curious to find out if anyone can explain shared libs...
>
> Background; when compiling tcp_wrappers-7.6 from source
> libwrap.a is created.  In the FreeBSD port, however, there
> is an additional lib, libwrap.so.7.6 (and a symblink to it
> from libwrap.so).
>
> OK, my question, what is the difference between libwrap.a
> and libwrap.so.7.6, under what circumstances is each one
> used, and how do I create libwrap.so.7.6 from sources?

A shared library saves on disk and memory usage. Only one copy of the
shared-library will exist in memory whenever one or more processes
use it.

A static library (ie .a suffix) on the other hand is basically a
collection of object files that the linker will use to
extract required files/functions to include into the completed binary.

Statically compiled programs will therefore end up bigger than
shared-library linked ones, and have a slightly bigger memory-footprint.