Date:      Wed, 2 Jul 2008 17:11:47 -0700
From:      "Rob Lytle" <jan6146@gmail.com>
To:        "Antoine BRUNEL" <antoinebrunel@yahoo.fr>, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org,  freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Sysinstall is still inadequate after all of these years

Thanks for responding Curtis,

I've used FreeBSD for a long time.  In fact, when the Athlon first came out=
,
FreeBSD would run with it, and SUSE would not.  I thought that was a good
sign that FreeBSD was top notch.  Plus it booted faster than any computer
and/or OS I had ever used.  And the memory management was incredible.  I
hardly ever page out to swap, even running a number of apps at once.
Nothing even slows down.

But after I got this new laptop I never reinstalled it.  Laptops are all
made so crappy in China that every year or two something breaks, I get
pissed, and I buy a new one.  My old Dell had to have the motherboard
replaced 5 times, 4 of those because the ethernet connector came loose and
they had no choice but to put a new board in.  All that for a $0.10 part.

But I have problems just transferring hard drives because of SATA vs. IDE.
I'm not sure how to get the data from one to another without a tape drive,
which it seems is expensive.

I dirched Ununtu as I found out my priority bug report was never acted on
and is still there from a year a go, numbered up in the 20,000's.  When you
manually configure your Wifi, upon the next reboot it just goes out and
randomly connects to any open access point- not my WAP encrypted one here.
Even Vista can be set not to do that!

Sincerely,  Rob

On Wed, Jul 2, 2008 at 4:03 PM, Antoine BRUNEL <antoinebrunel@yahoo.fr>
wrote:

> I complete what Curtis wrote...
>
> How many times do you have to install a BSD system ??? even in case of
> hell, you can still remove every ports/ package, juste leaving the CSH an=
> kernel layer, then install what you need again... try to remove the "glib=
c"
> package from Linux (an Howto exists), and enjoy....
>
> Compared to Windows / Linux (RedHat or Suse distributions), BSD still
> offers a way to finely tune your system depending on your needs, instead =
of
> putting gigabyte software in place, "just in case of", with tons of windo=
ws
> managers, productivity tools, etc...
>
> BSD are still "harder" systems compared to other, but with more control o=
> what happens....
>
> In conclusion, I can agree you in that the "sysinstall" soft is a bit
> out-dated, but it respond on a need of a BSD philosophy: just installing =
> working operating system. All the later tasks have to be done by "hands".
> But that's exactly what I wanted when I replaced Windows / Debian  to
> FreeBSD: having a full control on my system.
>
> So, just another useless contribution.....
>

> Curtis Penner a =E9crit :
>
>> Let us take this further.
>>
>> Let's compare BSD to the Linux install solutions.  Well, lets not, Linux
>> is so far ahead of BSD.  Linux understands the user.
>>
>> BSD has a better overall core OS then the other UNIX flavors.  The size =
>> capability is outstanding. Once you have the core OS on the system it is
>> rock steady and only getting better.  The documentation is outstanding. =
It