Date:      Sun, 1 Dec 2019 18:42:10 -0800
From:      "Simon J. Gerraty" <sjg@juniper.net>
To:        <cem@freebsd.org>
Cc:        "freebsd-arch@freebsd.org" <arch@freebsd.org>, <sjg@juniper.net>
Subject:   Re: Killing RANDOM_LOADABLE?

Conrad Meyer <cem@freebsd.org> wrote:
> I appreciate the quick feedback, thanks.  The algorithm/ internals aren=
=E2=80=99t
> too important for me; I=E2=80=99m interested in what your minimal api nee=
ds from
> FreeBSD are.
>=20
> It sounds like you select the random module to load in loader(8) =E2=80=
=94 you
> don=E2=80=99t need userspace / runtime loading (kldload). Is that underst=
anding
> correct?

Per my followup, we are no longer using RANDOM_LOADABLE,
we preload the selected module.  So long as that functionality is not
broken we should be ok.

> Would it be possible to answer the other questions from the initial email,
> too? If random loadable support was removed upstream, are you unable to

Since we haven't used it for a couple of years I'd hope we would not be
impacted but I know we've been bitten in the past by changes in the random
infra, though I don't recall the detail - will check with some other
folk.