Date:      Fri, 9 May 2014 12:46:48 +0200
From:      Michael Tuexen <Michael.Tuexen@lurchi.franken.de>
To:        pyunyh@gmail.com
Cc:        FreeBSD Net <freebsd-net@freebsd.org>, "Bjoern A. Zeeb" <bz@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: RX checksum offloading problem
References:  <0EB8F4F6-65C2-4B90-8101-FCC53A15C6F9@lurchi.franken.de> <A345E6A0-D6FF-4E69-AFBD-9BB67B82F02E@FreeBSD.org> <B149FC4B-4F15-4619-A04F-F1A08DDC1741@lurchi.franken.de> <20140507075612.GA1376@michelle.cdnetworks.com> <36469814-FAC8-4172-A792-487E2AB8ECB9@lurchi.franken.de> <20140507083751.GB1376@michelle.cdnetworks.com> <415C1CB5-3AF9-44E4-943A-74116037980E@lurchi.franken.de> <20140509013556.GA3014@michelle.cdnetworks.com>

<Michael.Tuexen@lurchi.franken.de> wrote:
> [...]
CSUM_DATA_VALID is defined as
This happens
UDP or TCP packets, since
actually checked but not otherwise.   This is how it should be imho.  It =
seems like a driver bug.
>> OK, I did some testing. It looks like the card is just computing the
>> checksum over the IP payload taking the correct IP header length into =
account.
>> Yes, I can send fragmented and un-fragmented UDP packets with IP =
options
>> and they are handled correctly. Even if the last fragment is too =
short.
>=20
> I'm assuming you're taking about receiving fragmented UDP packets
> with RX checksum offloading, right?
Correct.
>=20
>> This case isn't handled. However, udp_input() looks first for zero =
checksums
>> and only after that in the csum_flags. So it doesn't result in any =
problems.
>> Would you prefer not to set CSUM_DATA_VALID in this case?
>=20
> At least, it correctly updates UDP stats of netstat(1).
Let me double check that...
>=20
>> At least it does it right for UDP...
>>=20
>=20
> Hmm, CSUM_DATA_VALID indicates driver computed RX TCP/UDP checksum
> without pseudo header. As you know, controller can't compute
> TCP/UDP checksum until all its fragmented payload are read from
> wire.  Packets may arrive out of order and may be mixed with other
I'm not sure I understand this... Please note that the pseudo header
is not taken into account. So the card can compute the checksum over
the payload of IP for each fragment. This is stored in the csum_data
field. During reassembly the csum_data fields of the fragments are
combined in
=
http://svnweb.freebsd.org/base/head/sys/netinet/ip_input.c?view=3Dmarkup#l=
1075
This looks OK to me. I'm not sure why you think the cards needs
to keep state for this. I understand it needs state if it wants
to take the pseudoheader into account, but this is not done here.
> packets. Advanced controllers with enough memory may be able to
> compute TCP/UDP checksums by tracking each connections(e.g LRO) but
> low-end controllers may be not. It seems the controller does not
> even support RX TCP/UDP pseudo header checksum offloading so I
> wonder how this controller can support RX TCP/UDP checksum
> offloading for fragmented TCP/UDP packets.
I'm not sure what I'm missing here... You compute the sum over
the parts and add the sums of the parts. That should work for
the UDP/TCP checksum.
>=20
> Some controllers maintain two bits for TCP/UDP checksum offloading
> result in status word.  One bit is used to indicate whether
> controller performed TCP/UDP checksum offloading and the other bit
> is used to indicate whether the computed checksum is correct or
For SCTP we only get a bit that the checksum was computed and is =
correct...
> not. For UDP checksum value 0x0000 and fragmented TCP/UDP packets,
> these controllers do not attempt to compute TCP/UDP checksum.
I think it "just" computes it and leaves it up to the upper layer
to use the result or not...

Best regards
Michael