Date:      Tue, 7 Jan 2003 17:11:09 +0100 (CET)
From:      Soeren Schmidt <sos@spider.deepcore.dk>
To:        eculp@encontacto.net
Cc:        "current@FreeBSD.ORG" <current@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: mirrored root fs?

It seems eculp@encontacto.net wrote:
>  | Doing "stuff" to your root filesystems is always dangerous, so you
>  | have been warned :)
>
> Thanks, Søren.  Indeed I have:-)  I'll give it a try over the coming
> weekend after backing up everything:).  Will this patch be committed to
> the tree, before then?

Maybe, I'm still thinking about if I should make it an option in
atacontrol to do the mirror rebuild on create...

> This is really great news.  I sometimes feel like I live under a
> rock, I didn't realize that atacontrol raid was working so well.
> Do you know of any documentation on setting it up on a new system
> install, especially atacontrol RAID1+0?

man atacontrol :)

However if you want to use RAID1+0 and you want to be able to
boot from it you *need* a RAID capable controller BIOS, there is
no way to make a stock BIOS boot from a RAID0...
If you need it on install you probably also need at RAID capable
controller, if you define the RAID BIOS there, it will show up
in sysinstall..

> I haven't used vinum because of the root partition limitations and
> the complexity of the first configuration although I have been on the
> verge several times.  BTW, is this an integration of vinum?  To not
> have to be limited to hw raid by having similar flexibility and ease
> of use with software raid will be/is, IMO, fantastic.

No, the RAID part of the ATA driver has nothing to do with vinum.
Vinum has several limitations that make it useless in this context.
Mainly that the RAID config layout on disk need to be of different
formats depending on what controller BIOS we have, and there is no
place to put all the extra volume stuff that vinum needs.
The ATA RAID code is very generic instead, with backends that converts
the internal RAID info to/from the needed info on disk depending
on controller type.

-Søren