Date:      Sun, 14 Oct 2001 22:47:21 -0700
From:      "David R. Stegner" <dstegner@earthlink.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   4.4 Release and kernel

UPDATE TO MY QUESTION... SEE BELOW

Frame of reference.

Moderate FreeBSD hacker. Machine dedicated to FreeBSD learning but, getting
more serious as time passes.\

Machine

Asus P2B, PII 350mhz, 128 meg ECC memory
SCSI disk (Western Digital) and tape (Exabyte Eliant 820) on Adaptec 2940UW
Mitsumi 24X CD only item on IDE, 3.5 floppy

Commissioned with FreeBSD 2.2.6 from CD, UPGD to 3.1 from CD, UPGD to 3.2
from CD, UPGD to 4.0 from CD

In May 2001 I got more serious (or brave) and upgraded to 4.3 Release using
Cvsup, compiling, etc.
Everything worked fine, no problems at all.  I added Apache 1.3.19, setup a
few web pages, etc.

NOW TO PROBLEM

Following all available instructions, Cvsup 4.4 Release, read UPDATING, etc
I tried to UPGD to 4.4 Release.

Everything seemed fine.  Cvsup worked, did 'make buildworld', 'make build
kernel', 'make installkernel'.

Rebooted.

Boot process hangs during probing.

4.3 kernel boot output excerpt:

plip:    <PLIP network interface> on ppbus0
lpt0:   <Printer> on ppbus0
lpt0:   interrupt-driven port
ppi0:   <parallel I/O> on ppbus0
ata0-slave:     ata_command:    timeout waining for intr
ata0-slave      identify failed
adc0:   CDROM <FX240S> at ati)-master using PIO3

SCSI devices, etc - and away we go.

When I try to boot 4.4 kernel, everything seems the same except,

the last line I get is PPI0: <PARALLEL I/O> ON PPBUS0

Boot process stops at this point, forever. I tried just waiting but, it did
not help.

Any ideas??

Regards

UPDATE

I DID BOOT -V ON 4.3 KERNEL AND 4.4 KERNEL.
WHEN I DID, I GOT A FEW MORE LINES OF DETAIL, MAYBE HELPFUL

WITH 4.3 KERNEL

PPI0: <PARALLEL I/O> ON PPBUS0
EDO:    FAILED TO PROBE .....................
FE0:
IE0:
LNC0::
CS0:
SN0:
ISA_PROBE_CHILDREN:PROBING PNP DEVICES
BIOS GEOMETRIES:
    CYLINDERS, HEADS, SECTORS   (NUMBERS WITH HEADINGS)
    0 ACCOUNTED FOR
DEVICE CONFIGURATION FINISHED

WITH 4.4 KERNEL:    "ISA_PROBE_CHILDREN:PROBING PNP DEVICES"
IS THE LAST LINE REPORTED.  NO BIOS GEOMETRY, ETC.

THANKING YOU IN ADVANCE

David R. Stegner